Sunday, September 14, 2008

BOOKFAIR @ SMX


Though it was not in my plan(budget) to purchase something other than the necessary expenses for the week, I went to SMX (with Sheila) with an initial purpose to window shop, but unfortunately that initial purpose faded away as I was eaten by temptation to augment my book collection.
First step, I was going gaga.
Second step, I was already having a rough estimate on how should I go about my allowance.
More steps, Sheila and I went on our seperate ways so that we will have our own moment choosing the books we want.
I went home with:

THE PUBLIC HAS THE RIGHT TO KNOW by Bienvenido Tan, Jr.
Chief Justices of the Supreme Court of the philippines
The Rulemakers (how the wealthy and well-off dominate the congress)
Rizal without the overcoat by Ambeth Ocampo
Sorry to burst your bubble by Yay



Luckily, I was able to have a small talk with the author of "sorry to bust..." and she even wrote a note on my copy.
Actually, I was not supposed to buy the book as I was already done with my shopping and was about to go out, then.
However, when I've learned (overheard) that the book was featured in 700 club (lately it has been part of my routine to watch it for inspiring words before I sleep), it caught my interest and I decided to stop and grab the book to (just) take a quick read and basically to know what it's all about....on my third turn of the page I told myself I should be sorry if I leave the fair without a copy.
It's about purpose in life and overcoming challenges in achieving one's dream.

I have been wanting to have a book which tackles about political clans in the Philippines and I guess, it's perfect that I got the copy of The Rule Makers. It has statistics of families/clans who have dominated congress...it even provided some sort of chart on how one is related to another.
This is interesting, I guess as this will show how money and name works to be in a position. Who rules and how this opportunity was laid to them.

I never even had a second thought of buying "Rizal without the under cover" as I am a fan of Rizal. When I scanned through the pages I couldn't stop myself from closing it. For a minute that I have scanned through it, it made me a fan not only of Rizal but of Ambeth Ocampo as well. I just so love how his essays make history as the new must-have-book in everyone's bag.

After finals, I will definitely indulge myself!...Though I must confess that I already scanned all of them...inticing myself all the more. But of course I shall "focus" on hurdling the finals...and that should be my primordial interest for now ( trying to convince myself )




0 comments: